Document referenceQDN(W)
TitleRecords of nonconformist places of worship : North Riding Quarter Sessions
DescriptionThis sub-series consists of records relating to nonconformist and Roman Catholic places of worship, including:

- returns of places of worship of protestant dissenters and Roman Catholics: original returns arranged by townships made by petty constables of places of worship other than the Church of England. These returns give details of denominations and numbers in the congregation, and names of petty constables [1829]

- abstract of returns: gives similar details to the original returns. These are returns by high constables by wapentakes of returns already made by petty constables [1829]

- returns of places of worship of protestant dissenters and Roman Catholics: These are returns made by petty constables by township. They include returns by denominations (including Roman Catholic monasteries and Quaker meeting houses), and some dates of erections of places of worship. There are no details of congregations [1836]

- certificates of places of worship for Roman Catholics with the names of priests: these cover chapels in Sussex Street, Middlesbrough, Yarm, Linton on Ouse, Aiskew, Leyburn, and North Kilvington. The location of places of worship is given. It includes the enrolments of names of priests in Cliffe in the parish of Manfield, and Wycliffe [1791-1793]

- letter requesting the licensing of a chapel at Sussex Street, Middlesbrough [1853]

- draft certificate of the registration with the Clerk of the Peace of Zion Congregational Chapel, Burton cum Walden
Date1791-1853
LevelSeries
Catalogue statusCatalogued
Administrative historyThe returns of 1829 and 1836 were made preparatory to returns by the Clerk of the Peace to central government following parliamentary resolutions. The returns of 1836 were printed by order of the House of Commons. No returns to the Clerk of the Peace of places of worship of protestant dissenters in accordance with an Act of 1812 (52 George III cap. 155) have been found in this County.

The certificates of 1791-3 were deposited in accordance with the provisions of an Act of 1791 (31 George III cap. 32, s. 5) which relieved papists of certain penalties subject to their recording at Quarter Sessions their places of worship and the names of their priests.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017