Document referenceQAX(G)
TitleGeneral records of exempt jurisdiction : North Riding Quarter Sessions
DescriptionThis sub-series consists of general records relating to exempt jurisdictions, including:

- list of liberties in the Riding not contributing to the county rate [n.d. 19th century]

- correspondence to the Clerk of the Peace relating to the jurisdictions of Richmond and Scarborough [1881]
Date19th century-1881
LevelSeries
Catalogue statusCatalogued
Administrative historyThe Borough of Richmond:
Richmond, an ancient borough with a borough court of record, received a grant of a separate court of Quarter Sessions under a charter of Charles II of 1667/8. There was a fresh grant in 1838 after the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835 and a petition by the borough. This privilege was retained until 1 October 1951, when the borough once again became subject to the jurisdiction of the North Riding Justices. The burgesses of Richmond also claimed privileges of freedom from county rates and from serving on juries outside the precincts of the borough. They were said to have enjoyed the first from 1559 to 1815 and they still claimed the second even after the extinguishment of their separate Quarter Sessions in 1951. It was then said that they had enjoyed this since the 13th century and that it had been confirmed by charters of Elizabeth I and Charles II.

The records relating to Richmond in this section are largely concerned with the attempt of the borough to extend the jurisdiction of the court of record to cover the ancient Liberty of Richmond and Richmondshire (that is the wapentakes of Gilling West, Gilling East, Hang West, Hang East and Hallikeld) between 1837 and 1840. The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses presented a petition to the North Riding Justices in 1837 asking for support for a petition to the Queen for this extension. Notices that this would be considered at Quarter Sessions in 1838 and 1840 were given but this came to nothing. The Court resolved at Easter 1840, that it was inexpedient to extend the jurisdiction of the borough of Richmond to any part of the Riding not already annexed to the borough. Richmond's petition was therefore unsuccessful and its jurisdiction remained that of the borough co-terminous with the parish and township.

The borough of Scarborough:
The only record in this section relating to the borough of Scarborough is a letter from the Town Clerk to the North Riding Clerk of the Peace of 1881 informing him that the North Riding Justices had no jurisdiction in Scarborough. The borough had a separate court of Quarter Sessions. It consisted, at that date, of the townships of Scarborough and Falsgrave and the extra-parochial precincts of Scarborough Castle. Scarborough was incorporated as a borough by royal charters of 1253 and 1256. There were later confirmations of these and for a short time in 1485 (about a year) it was a separate county apart from York. This grant by Richard III was revoked on the accession of Henry VII. A charter of 1684 gave the borough the privilege of separate courts of Quarter Sessions and this was continued by a grant of 1836 following the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2017